View My Stats

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's down to the wire and I have to pick my favorites. I'm not privy to the politics of Hollywood so my favorites may not win, but goes.

Best Picture: Inglourious Basterds
Although Avatar may walk away with everything, Inglourious Basterd has my vote. An incredible story, incredible script, incredible acting, incredible special effects. It just draws you in and doesn't let go. In my mind, it is an example of a best picture.

Best Actor: Colin Firth
Jeff Bridges is the hand's down favorite and that's okay with me but my favorite performance was by Colin Firth in A Single Man. He captured a man in the depths of grief that still haunts me.

Best Actress: Gabourey Sidibe
Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock are the odds on favorites but Sidibe's portrayal of an abused young woman is courageous and exceptional. Not a pleasant film, not an easy film to watch, it hurts a person's sensibilities to see such cruelty, and she brings that pain to the screen. Sidibe in real life is nothing like the character she plays. As a newcomer, she is not the stereotypical actress and her work is not stereotypical either. She demonstrates ability beyond her years. I hope we will see more of her in the near future.

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow
Bigelow captures the story of an elite Army bomb squad unit in a city where everyone is a potential enemy and every object could be a deadly bomb. Bigelow said recently: "I always want to make films. I think of it as a great opportunity to comment on the world in which we live . . . " She's a talented director, a daughter of a librarian (How could I not love that?) and would be the first woman to receive an Oscar for directing.

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz
Hands down winner for his role as the "Jew Hunter" Col. Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds.

Best Supporting Actress: Anna Kendrick
Mo'nique will collect the Oscar on Sunday, but I think Anna Kendrick held her own against George Clooney in Up in the Air. She was captivating as a naive novice in the corporate downsizing game.

I can't wait for Sunday, March 7. . . what a night for movie makers and movie lovers from the red carpet parade and the exception speeches to the antics on stage. . . Oh, what a night!

Only following the Lady Huskie's in the East East and NCAA championships could be better.

Go Tina!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment